Public Policy is the public affairs division of Pinsent Masons. We provide tailored strategic public affairs advice on the business implications of legislation and regulation from Westminster and Whitehall, the Scottish Parliament and Scottish Government and the EU.
We are a leading provider of public affairs advice with over a decade of experience advising on a broad range of areas including strategic Public Affairs Advice, grassroots campaigns, stakeholder auditing and corporate social responsibility.
Strategic Public Affairs Advice
We work with our clients to develop innovative and effective strategies to respond to the opportunities and challenges presented by government institutions in the UK and the EU, and are ideally placed to help companies review and revise their public affairs strategies to take account of the devolved structures in the United Kingdom. Because we take time to understand our clients business and goals, we help them to see the policy-making process as it relates to them, and to appreciate the political climate. We also help clients to develop their network of stakeholders, and build relationships with the government officials and agencies, non-governmental organisations, political parties, think tanks and representative organisations who all help shape policy, alongside the parliamentarians.
We advise clients on the strategy and implementation of projects and campaigns to inform policymakers and improve the quality of policy and legislation. In each case we work with the client to analyse the situation, devise a strategy and execute a communications solution.
We gauge the reputation and perception of our client amongst their key stakeholders. We develop bespoke questions and methodology with the client and then undertake extensive research and analysis, reporting back with clear messages and recommendations. This enables clients to refine their future public affairs strategy and in particular, to address any perceived weaknesses in their position.
Corporate Social Responsibility
The economic, political and legislative environment demands that organisations act responsibly and can demonstrate this right across their operations. We recognise and understand the increasing requirement on companies and organisations to act responsibly and work closely with legal advisers to provide practical, commercial advice on corporate governance, auditing and cultural values commensurate with today's business climate.
Recent examples of our work include:
- Providing a leading banking group with strategic public affairs advice, including advice and preparation of an Executive Director for giving evidence to the Parliamentary committees at Westminster and Holyrood
- Advising an international financial services client on the development of its stakeholder programme, including the communication of a major corporate restructure, and its participation in government and industry policy groups
- Advising a leading UK supermarket on alcohol policy, waste policy, and Scotland's National Food & Drink policy to identify the implications for their business
- Supporting a international management consultancy on the development of its new Scotland office and advising on public policy sector opportunities in Scotland
- Advising two UK trade associations on their responses to and participation in the passage of business-critical legislation, and the development of stakeholder engagement strategies
- Conducting a reputation and perception audit for a global restaurant group
- Providing strategic advice, training, and practical support to a number of clients on a major piece of health legislation and associated regulations
- Advising an international engineering and support services business on its engagement in Scotland including the development of key Ministerial and other stakeholder relationships