Real Estate Structures
Market leading team in creating, developing and delivering solutions structured to meet your needs.
Our cohesive, long established team has a market leading reputation in innovation to deliver asset-based solutions through the use of corporate vehicles. We have closed more LABV schemes than any other law firm across the country. We regularly advise central government on the legal and wider implications of policy initiatives in this area. We also act in a consultancy role, working with clients to develop new ways of delivering projects in scenarios where cash is scarce and assets must be used in order to produce results.
Our expertise includes innovative funding structures and models for both the public and private sectors, and between the two. Because of our integrated approach, we have a deep and broad understanding across our team of the issues facing clients in the current funding and property market.
Expertise and knowledge second to none, to support your needs.
- Our team members were responsible for developing the original LABV structure and we have further developed the model with the market over the last four years
- Experience advising on all of the leading edge joint venture projects and almost every other joint venture project currently in the market
- The "go to" adviser to Government: we have advised HM Treasury, DCLG and others in relation to making and implementing policy on public/private joint ventures
- Over 30 years' experience advising on every model for non-PFI property or regeneration based public/private joint ventures (as well as many PFI projects)
- Extensive knowledge of the market approach, gained both by advising many private sector organisations on housing-led regeneration, and by sitting "across the table" from them throughout the procurement process
- A real understanding of issues affecting local government (we advised over 100 local authorities last year alone and are members of the HCA legal panel)
Our recent experience includes:-
- We are advising Gateshead Council on its borough-wide housing-led LABV project. This significant scheme will see 19 sites across Gateshead brought forward for housing regeneration delivering approximately 2200 homes over a 15 year period.
- We advised Newcastle City Council on the Scotswood regeneration project which covers a substantial area of the west end of Newcastle upon Tyne. The project involves the creation of a delivery vehicle in joint venture with its private sector partner, a consortium comprising Barratt, Keepmoat and Yuill, to deliver 1800 new homes in this run-down area of the city and promote development further afield.
- We completed Aylesbury Vale District Council's LABV project comprising its entire non-operational property portfolio
- We advised Devon County Council on its Skypark PPP to create a major new business park adjacent to Exeter Airport
- We advised One NorthEast on its Project Onedin (now trading as OnSite North East)- a PPP for the RDAs development portfolio
- We are sole legal adviser to Peterborough City Council on all aspects of the implementation of its Medium Term Financial Strategy. This includes structuring its city wide ESCO together with its eight initial projects , including solar PV (roof and ground mounted) and energy from waste; procurement advice; property development; housing structures; and local authority mortgages
Our Government advisory role includes the following:-
- We advised DCLG on the delivery of the Housing Green Paper delivery models including drafting the proposed guidance on the Local Housing Company and Local Asset Backed Vehicle Models
- We advised PUK and HM Treasury in updating the HM Treasury PUK guidance on public sector joint ventures;
- We have produced a wealth of other guidance for DCLG including Housing PFI Guidance and on strategic partnerships whilst on secondment i.e. to the ODPM's Strategic Partnership Taskforce;
- We have assisted the HCA in developing its best practice in relation to legacy and community management structures including the Millennium Community URC at New Islington and the prototype Eco-town at Northstowe.