Renewables & Energy from Waste
As pressure grows to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, oil reserves decline and Western nations become increasingly concerned about the security of their energy supplies, the energy industry is developing increased capacity for the generation of renewable energy.
The Pinsent Masons Renewable Energy team has been actively involved in the renewable/alternative energy industry for many years. Our finance, energy, environment, property, planning and construction lawyers have extensive experience of advising developers, stakeholders and funders on onshore wind, offshore wind, wave, tidal, landfill gas, biomass, biofuel, hydro, waste-to-energy and carbon capture and storage projects. We have been involved in transactions involving renewable energy in both the UK and a number of jurisdictions across Europe and Asia.
Our expert team offer informed practical advice in:
- Commercial Contracts and Bid Support
- Construction Documentation including EPC Contracts, Turbine Supply and BOP Contracts
- Energy Regulation including ROCs, LECs and REGOs
- Planning and Consents including Environmental Impact Assessment
- Financing (utilising both debt and equity for deals)
- M&A: sale/purchase of renewable companies/projects
- Grid Connection Documents
- Legal Risk Analysis
- Operation and Maintenance Arrangements
- Power Purchase Agreements and Energy Trading
- Securing Property Rights and Options
- Technology Licensing and IP Protection
Experience in the renewables sector includes advising:
- one of the UK’s largest developer/operators of wind farms in relation to regulatory issues and procurement strategy; drafting arrays of project documentation (including terms and conditions for construction and operations and maintenance contracts and associated security documents); and negotiating terms and conditions with contractors.
- a Danish offshore wind farm developer regarding procurement issues arising out of an offshore wind farm in the UK territorial waters.
- the project company on procurement, including EU issues, drafting EPC contracts and tender documentation for the design and construction of a renewable energy wave test centre in Scotland.
- A wind farm developer/operator in connection with grid connection agreements, planning and EU procurement issues, EPC conditions of contracts, consultancy agreements, survey contracts and O&M conditions of contract.
- A UK utility developer in relation to the drafting and negotiation of a Joint Operation Agreement for the development of a major UK offshore wind park.
- Barclays Bank plc as funders of the Port of Liverpool Wind Farm Project. The development by the Renewables Division of Peel Holdings is to be built within the working port facilities with the turbines over-sailing the River Mersey
- HSBC, as sole advisor, on the Durham Wind Farm project financing for West Durham Wind Farm Limited (wholly owned subsidiary of HJ Banks Limited)
- Ecotricity on a portfolio project financing of up to five wind farms located across the UK. Nord LB was the sole mandated lead arranger in respect of the debt
- Babcock & Brown on the development and subsequent sale to PowerGen Renewables of the two Scottish Round 1 wind projects at Robin Rigg in the Solway Firth
- AMEC Project Investments in respect to the sale to Centrica of the Lynn Round 1 wind project
- British Energy Renewables/RES in respect of the sale to Centrica of the Inner Dowsing Round 1 wind project
- four offshore wind farm consortia on grid connection issues
- Tradelink Solutions Limited on the purchase of the Balgonie Hydro-Electric scheme in Fife, Scotland
- Hillhouse Estates in relation to the 100MW Glendoe Hydro-Electric scheme
- Wavegen over a number of years in relation to technology licensing and IP protection
- a project developer on the grid connection arrangements for a proposed offshore wave farm development in Orkney
- a major industrial energy user on plans for a biomass CHP Scheme
- a major utility on consenting, proposed biomass supply arrangements and ROC eligibility issues in respect of a proposed biomass plant in Scotland
- the developer of a new build 50MW biomass CHP scheme
- developers on application of FIT to proposed large solar PV projects
- equity investor in SunGem Solar Thermal Portfolio in Italy
- on the creation of a solar PV fund and the purchase of solar PV installations.