We have a broad range of scientific backgrounds in our team, including people who have worked in industry. Our team has a proven ability to grasp complex scientific issues and assess esoteric cutting edge technologies.
Our deep experience in key sectors including energy pharmaceuticals, manufacturing and technology means that we can deliver commercial, sensible advice and anticipate your needs. We also bring horizon issues to our clients to anticipate their landscape ahead.
Our services in the UK and China include:
- all aspects of advice on the management of national and international patent litigation;
- advising on potential collaborations with third parties including research and development contracts;
- in and out-licensing of technology;
- advising on the patent aspects of the sale or purchase of businesses;
- patent transfers as part of Group restructurings and advice on maximising tax efficiency of IP assets;
- freedom to operate/infringement/validity reviews;
- assertions of patents and negotiating licences.
In addition to technical infringement and validity advice relating to patents, we use our sector knowledge to deliver commercially relevant business advice to our diverse client base which includes: public authorities, universities, biotechs, medical device companies, originators, generic manufacturers and parallel distributors.
We can help you:
- when you have concerns about market access by providing freedom to operate opinions and strategic advice in relation to the validity of various intellectual property rights and infringement risks;
- exploit your intellectual property rights by negotiating and drafting licensing agreements, assignments of intellectual property assets and funding issues;
- use your intellectual property rights to protect your investment in R&D by advising on protection strategies and IP life cycle management;
- when you have concerns about infringements by enforcing your rights against infringers in the UK, Continental Europe and China. Our team regularly provides strategic enforcement advice to clients in this industry sector, and has extensive experience of multi-jurisdictional patent actions.
Examples of our expertise include:
- providing strategic IP guidance for a client developing coal gasification plants in China; analysing and establishing a patent portfolio protecting the client's own technologies. We also provided freedom to operate (FTO) analysis to the client in the face of a large portfolio of third party patents asserted against them.
- advising Drax Power on the ownership and rights to use the IP in new turbine engines as part of its £100 million investment to reduce carbon emissions at the UK's largest coal fired power station.
- pursuing UK patent infringement litigation for Siemens concerning protection for electronic components, through to the Court of Appeal.
- advising a leading manufacturer of digital gateways to the Pay TV market on all patent assertions against them globally.
- acting for a major European electronics retailer to handle various standards based patent assertions against our client's own brand products manufactured by OEMs, including laptops, TVs and handheld devices. We have considerable expertise around FRAND licensing.
- providing strategic IP due diligence and advice on the worldwide patent protection available to and potential challenges to a novel chemical process, with dependent engineering designs, in which our client was investing.
- successfully revoked Astra Zeneca's patent for a sustained release formulation of its blockbuster anti-psychotic, Seroquel®, thereby opening up the UK pharmaceuticals market for generic drug manufacturer, TEVA.
- advising on multinational patent litigation concerning Lundbeck's blockbuster anti-depressant, escitalopram, in an action which went all the way to the House of Lords.
- acting for the Department of Health on the transfer of the IP assets (including patents, other IP and actual key cell lines) of the BioProducts Laboratory division of NHS Blood and Transplant.
- representing a pharmaceutical wholesaler in interim injunction proceedings in the Patents Court, relating to alleged infringement of a blockbuster product patent.
- advising on various key transgenic patents of the Roslin Institute in relation to the Institute’s move to Edinburgh University.
- as one of the few UK law firms with Life Sciences intellectual property specialists in China, we are uniquely placed to advise clients based in the region and those looking to invest there.
"Deborah Bould doesn't try to blind you with legalities but instead offers commercially focused advice." Chambers 2012
"Louise [Fullwood] was able to meet our requirements, which had proved difficult to secure from alternative legal advisers and would have been costly for a firm to have learned from scratch. The value added was immediate progress in a complex issue. My colleagues were delighted by having a lawyer with specialised knowledge." Board Secretary, UK Stem Cell Bank (NIBSC)
"Kening Li heads the firm’s IP practice [in China]. He is an expert in all aspects of IP law, and has extensive experience of working for Fortune 500 companies." Chambers 2012
"Cerys Wyn Davies is quick to respond, builds solid relationships with clients and is a good team player" Chambers 2012
"Clare Tunstall is recognised for her 'outstanding reputation in representing generics manufacturers.' She has also worked with pharmaceutical innovators, demonstrating her level of expertise in the field, and has been involved in numerous cross-border patent litigation cases." IAM 250: The World's Leading Patent Litigators 2011.