Energy & Infrastructure Finance
Financing structures for both energy and infrastructure projects or companies is critical to their success. The types of finance required can vary - from early stage development funding, reserve-based lending through to project finance and secondary market acquisition finance.
We understand the need for legal advisers to recognise and distinguish between the issues and risks presented in the energy and infrastructure sectors, as well as the solutions to mitigate against them. We approach each assignment with experienced multi-disciplinary teams that combine our financing expertise with the experience of our industry-sector specialists. We always seek to use our knowledge of current lending requirements and investor desires to maximise the outcome for our clients.
Our team has advised banking syndicates and project sponsors on many energy and infrastructure projects in the UK and overseas. The following is a selection of projects on which we have advised:
- Advising in over 20% of all project financed projects under the UK PPP/PFI initiatives;
- Advising a multi-lateral lender on the financing of the A4 toll road in Germany and the first PPP road project in Austria (A5);
- Advising Mutual Energy in the project financing (utilising bond finance) of (a) the Scottish/Northern Irish Electricity Interconnector, (b) the Scottish/Northern Irish Gas Interconnector and (c) the Belfast Gas Network;
- Advising the procuring authority on the financing of the Gautrain rapid rail project in South Africa;
- Advising the shareholders on the multi-sourced financing for a container port in Argentina;
- Advising a number of large oil companies (Cairn Energy, Dana Petroleum, Faroe, Valiant Petroleum and Ithaca) on their financing arrangements for exploration and development;
- Advising both borrowers and banks on the project financing of various wind farms, hydro schemes, biomass and AD projects
- Advising the arranging syndicate on the financing of the M7/M8 toll road in Portlaoise, Republic of Ireland