In the current climate, where tax avoidance is frequently discussed in the media and those perceived to have avoided tax are vilified in the press, tax has become a reputational issue as well as a financial liability. Our tax team includes a former in-house tax director and a former head of indirect taxes so we understand the challenges and priorities of an in-house tax function.
As well as our UK based corporate tax team, we also provide corporate tax advice in Germany, France, Qatar and China. Working with our international tax colleagues and with contacts in other jurisdictions we are able to provide advice on cross border transactions.
We work with the Pinsent Masons global sectors and core industries and markets to understand the business and tax issues in particular sectors. We have particular experience in the energy and natural resources, infrastructure and financial services sectors and the real estate and universities and higher education core industries and markets.
We actively participate in the business tax community through participation in bodies such as the Business Services Association, the CBI, the Chartered Institute for Taxation, the Law Society Tax Law Committee, the International Fiscal Association, the Stamp Taxes Practitioners' Group and the VAT Practitioners’ Group.
We also comment frequently in the press and on TV and radio, on the tax issues that affect businesses. In addition we support the development and study of corporate and business tax law through the Pinsent Masons Chair in Tax Law at Oxford University (held by Professor Judith Freedman CBE).
We provide the full range of corporate tax services to our clients including:
- UK and cross-border transactional advisory including M&A, private equity tax and finance tax
- Joint ventures and collaboration structures, including UK and international joint ventures
- Real estate tax, including funds and indirect investment structures
- Funds formation work for private equity, debt, real estate and infrastructure funds
- Planning for major projects, such as infrastructure and energy investment proposals
- Advising on group structures, including group reorganisations, simplification projects, demergers and returns of capital
- Employment taxation, including incentive structures and cross-border assignments
- International tax structuring advice, including strategic decisions on where to locate holding vehicles and intellectual property, negotiation of cross-border contracts and advice on transfer pricing policies and the impact of anti-avoidance rules.
- Advising the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) on a £125 million bond issue to assist LSE in its campus development
- Providing tax advice on the £459m disposal of London Array’s offshore wind farm transmission (OFTO) assets to Blue Transmission London Array Limited
- We advised ICG plc on a new $800m US Debt Fund, including advice on co-investment and carried interest structures
- Structuring and advising Ferrovial Servicios SA, the Spanish infrastructure giant, in its £385m acquisition of Enterprise plc, a significant UK infrastructure group, increasing the scale of Ferrovial’s UK operations and strengthening their presence in the UK market
- Leading the UK tax structuring of the worldwide reorganisation of a significant UK company employing almost 100,000 people, involving reorganising the existing UK operations into distinct sectors prior to moving each sector off-shore
- We advised Delphi on the UK tax aspects of the $90m disposal of its global suspensions and brakes business to Beijing West Industries Co. Ltd of China and on Delphi’s acquisition of the Hartridge Limited group of companies for an undisclosed amount
- We advised BAA on the sale of Edinburgh Airport in a deal reported to be worth over £807m.