Choose a topic to find out more:
If you are in need of urgent assistance, you can get in touch with us by calling +44 (0)870 054 9994.
Investigation and prosecution experience
Our team has extensive experience in defending criminal investigations and/or prosecutions brought by the major criminal law enforcement agencies and regulators including:
- The Serious Fraud Office
- The Financial Conduct Authority
- The Crown Prosecution Service
- The Information Commissioners Office
- The Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service
We represent corporations, their investors, owners and senior executives, levelling the playing field in a world where government law enforcement has a vast array of powers up to and including closing down businesses and arresting individuals.
Our clients include household names, high net worth individuals and senior employees.
We conduct internal investigations and vigorously defend our clients subject to regulatory and criminal investigation and prosecution.
Our team includes seasoned criminal defence lawyers and former senior prosecutors from the fraud and corruption divisions of the Serious Fraud Office, and the enforcement division of the Financial Conduct Authority.
Our experienced team has successfully represented and defended clients involved in some of the largest corruption and money laundering investigations across the globe, including the US, EMEA, Asia Pacific, including China, and the British Overseas Territories.
We have a dedicated corporate crime and investigations practice based in Singapore, working on international cases across South East Asia and Asia Pacific. The team links up closely with colleagues across other practice groups based in our offices in China and Hong Kong, and globally with our compliance teams in the UK, Germany and the Middle East.
We have particular expertise in:
- Anti-bribery and corruption
- Criminal investigations & prosecutions
- Crisis response and reputation management
- Cyber crime and data protection
- Economic crime
- Financial Services – investigation & enforcement action
- Fraud and internal investigations
- Proceeds of crime
- Trade sanctions and export controls
Our in-house team of forensic accountants differentiates us from other law firms, enabling a multi-disciplinary approach to corporate crime investigations. They work closely with our corporate crime and compliance lawyers to:
- Provide rapid, practical advice in response to whistle blowing allegations, compliance incidents, suspected financial misconduct and other irregularities
- Advise on risk assessments and regulatory compliance programmes
Read more about Forensic and Accounting Services.
As one of the first UK law firm's to hire a team of former prosecutors, Pinsent Masons can provide insight from the perspective of the UK's major prosecuting and enforcement bodies.
Our team includes former senior prosecutors from the fraud and corruption divisions of the Serious Fraud Office, and the enforcement division of the Financial Conduct Authority.
They work alongside our leading corporate crime and white collar defence specialists to deliver a formidable array of legal talent respected by law enforcement.
Their experience includes prosecuting and advising on high-profile fraud, corruption and financial services litigation cases including:
- AMEC plc
- R v Marks, McGeown, Symington & Kealey
- Card Protection Plan Limited
- Catalyst Investment Group Limited
Products and technology - Cerico
We help to pre-empt wrong-doing by providing innovative compliance products along with anti-corruption, fraud and cybercrime prevention strategies.
Cerico is an online regulatory compliance business majority owned by Pinsent Masons, developed in conjunction with our Partner Tom Stocker. Cerico won the FT Innovative Lawyer Award 2015 for best use of technology.
In association with Pinsent Masons, Cerico develops and delivers compliance solutions which bring your compliance programme to life, taking much of the heavy-lifting out of labor-intensive processes.
It is the only compliance solution on the market underpinned by the experience and knowhow of a major international law firm. Tools include:
- Integrity due diligence and screening: The platform issues, collates and risk assesses due diligence questionnaires. The platform has automated risk scoring and ‘red flag’ triggers. Database screening can also be instructed and managed
- ELearning: Anti-bribery, sanctions and export controls, health and safety, competition and bespoke courses (including multi-lingual versions). Cloud hosting enables third parties to be trained remotely
- Compliance declarations: To meet international standards on anti-bribery compliance management, this tools issues, chases up and collates internal and external compliance declarations
- Gift and hospitality register and tracker: Enables companies to quickly and easily imbed gift and hospitality registration, including establishing different financial approval levels for different parts of the world
Visit the Cerico website for further information.
The Bribery Act
Partner Barry Vitou is the author of www.thebriberyact.com - the leading online resource for the UK Bribery Act.
The award winning website is dedicated to news, guidance and the latest information relating to the Act. The former Director of the Serious Fraud Office, Richard Alderman, described it as: "The leading web resource for corporates in the field of bribery and corruption."
Visit www.thebriberyact.com to find out more.
To get in touch with a member of our team, or to find out more about our experience, view our key contacts.
In need of urgent assistance? Contact us on +44 (0)870 054 9994.