Our corporate crime team provide legal advice on money laundering, bribery, corruption and cybercrime as well as defending corporate defendants.
We advise clients in relation to regulatory and criminal investigations worldwide. We often advise in the early stages of investigations and before interviews by regulators, the police and prosecutors.
We assist clients seeking to minimise criminal risk with market leading legal compliance solutions and anti-corruption and fraud prevention strategies. This last aspect of our practice led the firm into developing a specific in relation to cybercrime, as an increasing number of frauds and corporate espionage actions tend to be perpetrated through cyber attacks.
In relation to cybercrime, the firm has particular experience in working with IT and risk assessment teams to anticipate cyber attacks issues by identifying potential areas of risks and taking all possible remedies (including the identification of confidential information and the definition of appropriate security levels, carrying out adequate formalities around data protection, defining internal liabilities). Our team also has experience dealing with prosecution of cyber attackers and, in some confidential cases, retrieving information on the identity of cyber attackers.
We have extensive experience of representing clients facing criminal investigations initiated in the Caribbean and Bermuda, the United States, EMEA, CIS and Asia Pacific regions.
Barry Vitou who leads our team writes the acknowledged leading online resource for the UK Bribery Act and associated laws thebriberyact.com with Richard Kovalevsky QC providing insight and analysis.
We liaise with regulators and prosecution agencies (on a no names basis if appropriate), including on self-reporting mechanisms, money laundering obligations and other remedial steps.
We can enter discussions with the regulators and prosecutors (including the Serious Fraud Office in England & Wales and the Serious Organised Crime Division in Scotland) if appropriate, to obtain civil settlements. We can also advise clients on the merits of using the Attorney Generals Guidelines on Plea Negotiation as necessary.
Our team of lawyers also regularly represent clients in criminal or investigations conducted by a range of prosecution agencies and regulators in relevant jurisdictions, including in the UK, the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS), Financial Services Authority (FSA), Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC), Serious Organised Crime Agency (SOCA), regional police fraud squads and specialist regulators such as Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA).
Click here to view a briefing note which looks at the implications of the recent fraud and corruption allegations GlaxoSmithKline are facing in China. The note also looks at solutions and lessons to be learned by other multinational companies operating in China
Our lawyers' work includes cases advising on:
- corruption investigations including and investigations involving the World Bank, the UK's City of London Police Overseas Corruption Unit and Serious Fraud Office.
- worldwide criminal corruption and money laundering and related regulatory investigations into companies resulting in global resolutions in multiple jurisdictions with regulators.
- international corruption investigations including involving the US Department of Justice and UK Serious Fraud Office.
- compliance and preparation for the Bribery Act.
- attending dawn raids involving the Serious Fraud Office and other UK regulators and advising clients on information requests from enforcement agencies.
- Cyber frauds, discovery, identification of cyber attackers and ensuring that identifying grounds for prosecution or judicial proceedings against cyber attackers.
- mutual legal assistance across a number of jurisdictions.
In need of urgent assistance? +44 (0)870 054 9994