Real Estate Tax
Property transactions present a large number of complex taxation issues whether those involved are property owners, developers, tenants, banks, investors or the public sector. Tax charges can significantly affect the return and, in some cases, can make a project commercially non-viable.
Our in-depth knowledge of the property market means that we understand the commercial issues our clients are facing. We are known for providing innovative solutions to obtain the best result for our client.
Working closely with our property and corporate specialists our national property tax team provides integrated property tax advice across a range of taxes including direct taxes, capital allowances, stamp duty land tax and VAT.
Particular specialisms we cover include:
- Property development
- Joint venture and partnering structures
- Regeneration projects
- Property financing
- Property investment structures
- Capital allowance structures
- Advising an international aggregates group on "appropriate arrangements" for senior accounting officer compliance as regards stamp duty land tax compliance
- Advising Capital & Counties Properties plc on the Earl's Court redevelopment
- Advising Lend Lease on the disposal of its interest in Overgate Shopping Centre
- Advising the Aviva Lime Fund on various forward funding transactions including a £38 million investment in a Premier Travel Inn at Heathrow and a £24 million investment in a WMMorrison supermarket at Leigh
- Advising One North East regional development agency on the tax aspects of Project ONEDIN, a public-private partnership in relation to a development property portfolio
- Advising Wal-Mart/ASDA on the tax aspects of the sale of Gazeley, its property development subsidiary operating in Europe and Asia
- Advising a number of city councils on major town centre regeneration projects
- Advising national names including a major plc on strategic tax issues arising on sale and leaseback programmes
- Advising a City Council on the tax aspects of a complex £110 million joint venture Arena development providing a football stadium, exhibition hall and resort casino
- Advising the Homes and Communities Agency on the tax issues of establishing the Northstowe New Town, the UK's largest sustainable new town project