At Pinsent Masons, we understand that every business impacts on its environment which is why we take our responsibility to the world around us seriously.
As a professional services organisation, we can make an impact through implementing ethical and environmentally friendly policies in the workplace and we are determined to do whatever we can to ensure that our business has a positive effect on the communities and the environment around us.
- Following the completion of external assessments by the British Standards Institute (BSI), Pinsent Masons is accredited to ISO 14001 (Environmental Systems). This international standard enables us to monitor and improve our Environmental processes and show our commitment to staff, client and visitor wellbeing.
- We have formed an Environmental Focus Group of like-minded and enthusiastic people who will be responsible for implementing and pushing forward with our environmental initiatives. The group’s role is to:
- Help develop and implement environmental policies and environmental management systems;
- Discuss environmental issues affecting the firm;
- Consider/discuss any environmental regulatory, legal issues;
- Investigate staff suggestions and initiatives; and
- Assist with implementation of initiatives across departments/offices
- We have been certified Carbon Neutral for all our business travel since 2007. We have supported a number of different projects to offset our travel emissions including a wind power project in New Zealand and a hydro power project in China.
Since January, we have been developing our Environmental Management Action Plan for 2015/16, which sets out our key objectives and targets and how they will be achieved; by:
- implementing technical solutions, e.g. improvements to building plant and equipment reducing energy consumption;
- undertaking specific initiatives in areas such as print, waste/resources and procurement;
- engaging with the staff across the business; and
- meeting legislative requirements.
The Plan will ensure agreed steps are implemented to a set timetable and will be supported by the issue of more ‘visual’ information to communicate our environmental management activities and how they can be integrated with our ‘Responsible Business’ obligations and the firm’s overall strategy.
The new Energy Committee has been set up for the work required in connection with our ISO 50001 accreditation and the first meeting took place on 27th May. The ISO 50001 certification sends out a clear and positive message to our clients that as a firm, we are committed to reducing our environmental impact.
Please read our Environmental Policy Statement for further details.