We act for business and health service providers who are active in a wide range of sectors including central and local government, healthcare, higher education, infrastructure, diversified industrials, energy (upstream and downstream), financial services, and life sciences.
We advise our clients in all areas of the law relevant to these sectors, including corporate, employment, project and PFI work, dispute resolution and litigation, competition, outsourcing arrangements, insurance, banking and finance.
We are one of the largest providers of commercial legal services to the healthcare sector, advising on issues including large-scale PPP/PFI hospitals, establishing joint ventures and assisting GPs in the provision of new surgeries. We also have substantial experience in private sector care homes and outsourcing arrangements to deliver the needs for clients.
The business services industry is a major UK success story in driving innovation and efficiency across the private and public sectors. We recognise the importance of a strong relationship between the sectors, and as an associate member of the Business Services Association, we are actively engaged in representing the interests of the industry and shaping policy through its engagement with Government. Clients most value our comprehensive understanding and knowledge of the sector, the work they do and the challenges and opportunities they face in an ever evolving industry.
Our sector activities are grouped under the following headings:
- Contract Optimisation
We assist clients over a contract's lifecycle to safeguard margins, maximise opportunities and manage risk. This includes advising on efficient procurement strategies, the preservation of corporate knowledge and exit management. We also have an unrivalled reputation advising on contracts in distress and their successful renegotiation.
- Transformational Change
We invest time with clients to help them identify new ways of structuring and delivering business, explore new markets, respond to significant market shifts or take advantage of technological advances. Our position as a trusted adviser to the sector means we are well placed to monitor and give clients advance notice of new issues or opportunities. A recent case in point is m-Health, which is set to have a profound impact on society and healthcare providers around the world.
- Global Corporate Citizen
We are living in an age in which legal compliance is not enough to safeguard the brand and reputation of businesses, particularly those paid from the public purse or having direct contact with individual clients. We are working hard to help our clients fulfil their goals of being global corporate citizens, behaving ethically in everything they do. Our work includes advising on ethical tax policies, anti-trust and competition compliance, health and safety and other environmental issues, anti-bribery and corruption laws, employee welfare and energy management.
We advise business services clients in all areas of law, drawing on the experience and expertise of our many specialists. In particular, we have a first class reputation in technology. We are consistently ranked as a tier one firm for TMT by the legal directories and were shortlisted for TMT team of the year for both Legal Business and The Lawyer Awards 2013. Our healthcare team was also named HealthInvestor legal advisors of the year – private in 2013.
Recent experience includes:
- Acting for Serco Health in its bid and contract for the provision of the community health services in Suffolk. This £140 million contract sees Serco taking responsibility for the services. We advised on the contractual arrangements with the supply chain (a mix of not for profit, social enterprise and public sector organisations) and the allocation of risk, including TUPE transfers and pensions arrangements.
- Advising Rentokil Initial plc on a review of its international insurance programme, stress-testing key risks for the business and identifying particular challenges in operating a master policy system.
- Acting for subsidiaries of a leading business process outsourcing and professional support services in relation to a major ongoing litigation, concerning construction related issues arising out of the design, management and construction of a commercial development.
- Acting for Oasis Dental Care on a series of acquisitions and disposals, in relation to the compulsory Care Quality Commission registration stretching to dentists. We have built up considerable experience in advising Oasis on complex areas such as the transfer of NHS contracts and NHS superannuation issues. We also have a good understanding of employment issues facing dental practices and advising on associate agreements for individual dentists
- Assisting European Care on its merger with the UK property portfolio of PSPI plc. European Care is a top 10 provider of long term care for older people as well as caring for adults with learning difficulties and providing children's services.