Together with colleagues in our Competition, Litigation & Arbitration and Corporate groups, our TMT team works with gambling sector clients on large and small scale IT and commercial contracts, corporate transactions, disputes and fraud investigations, and gambling and liquor licensing. We are a full service firm and also offer supporting services relating to Property and Planning, Tax, Employment and Pensions.
We have seen exponential growth of both our practice and the gambling group in the last few years, as our gambling sector clients extend their online operations and have increased their demand for our services.
We have combined our long-standing knowledge of the gambling sector with our extensive experience of negotiating and managing complex IT projects and our detailed IP specialisation to develop a particular expertise in complex and high value contracts for the provision of remote gambling systems and related services. Together with our clients' commercial, technical and legal teams, we drill down into the detail of these arrangements including the minutiae of complex revenue calculations, but without losing sight of the big picture, to ensure the contracts reflect the commercial deal.
Follow the link to see a diagram of how our gambling practice is set up, some example deals and the key individuals in the Pinsent Masons gambling group.
Examples of some of our work in the gambling sector:
Acting for William Hill in relation to:
- the extension of its existing software and services agreement with Playtech Software Limited, the AIM-listed international online gaming services provider, to include Italian casino games for the launch of William Hill Online’s Italian casino operation;
- its new telebetting operation based in Gibraltar and run by William Hill Online, including advising on the contract with leading outsourcing services provider Vertex which took over William Hill's Sheffield-based call centre and related employment issues;
- a suite of agreements with OpenBet, a leading provider of integrated gaming and betting solutions, for the development and support of a major new software system to facilitate William Hill’s online and telephone betting services;
- the successful defence of claims of defamation, passing off by false endorsement, and breaches of personality rights, the Data Protection Act, Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights and the French Civil Code;
- contracts with Global Draw Limited and Inspired Gaming (UK) Limited for the supply, installation and maintenance of gaming machines for the whole of the WH retail estate;
- a contract for the supply of a multi-channel feed from Satellite Information Services Limited (SIS) to enable William Hill to broadcast SIS and Turf TV simultaneously in its real estate.
Advising Livescore Limited, the operator of livescore.com, on its defence of a database right claim brought by Football DataCo and PA Sport relating to use of a live data fee of English and Scottish football league results and incidents
Advising AIM-listed London Capital Group Holdings Plc and its FSA-authorised subsidiary London Capital Group Limited on white-labelling and IT contracts and the potential impact of the FSA Remuneration Code.
Advising Ann Summers on a white-labelling agreement with St Minver for online casino and bingo games.
Acting for the shareholders of Million 2 1, a leading UK service provider for prize competitions, voting, lotteries and other interactive facilities, on its sale to International Game Technology, a New York Stock Exchange listed company which is a leading gaming machine manufacturer and online casino software supplier.
Advising Genting Alderney, a subsidiary of Singapore-listed Genting International Plc, on an agreement with Playtech Software Limited for the provision of a new online casino and poker games system for its online business "Circus Casino".
Advised Gala Casinos Limited, the long-established major player in the London and provincial casino markets, in relation to the gambling and liquor licensing aspects of the relocation of the Rotunda Casino, Glasgow.
We also advise in relation to prize draws and competitions, in particular on structuring them so that they fall outside the regulatory regime of the Gambling Act - further information on this is available on our Out-Law website. We have successfully lobbied the Gambling Commission for greater clarification in its guidance on the requirements of the "skill test" in this respect.