Based across our key hubs in Aberdeen, Dubai, London and Singapore, our specialist oil and gas lawyers are familiar with working in a wide variety of legal jurisdictions. We have extensive international experience, working for clients in the upstream, midstream and downstream sectors of the industry, providing support for both conventional and unconventional oil and gas exploration and production, enhanced oil recovery, oil and gas transportation and processing, LNG and FLNG projects, refining, marketing and petrochemical facilities and oil storage.
Our team is noted for the depth and breadth of its industry knowledge, its commercial perspective and its strong industry networks. Most of our senior lawyers have worked as in-house counsel for major energy companies. We have a strong network of relationships with oil and gas companies, industry professionals, government and regulatory bodies. We contribute on a regular basis to industry focused topical debates and drafting committees. All senior team members belong to key industry bodies, including the Association of International Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN) and the International Bar Association (IBA).
We have been involved in some of the world’s largest oil and gas infrastructure projects from concession acquisition and award through to decommissioning and abandonment. Our experience encompasses advising in relation to offshore drilling and process facilities (including platforms, FPSOs, Spars and subsea facilities), onshore refining and gas processing facilities (including GTL and LNG liquefaction and re-gasification), transnational oil and gas pipelines, pumping stations and receiving terminals, refining and petrochemical facilities, gas storage facilities and associated distribution networks. We have comprehensive experience in M&A, takeovers, public company listings and international joint ventures, we also regularly work on the acquisition and sale of oil and gas assets. With our extensive international network, we specialise in cross-border transactions.
Our diverse range of clients, extending from NOCs, oil majors, regulators, independents, international E&P companies, trading houses and oilfield service companies through a wide variety of lenders, private equity funders, investment banks and major international contractors, has allowed us to advise from many different perspectives over many years.
Our network of offices across the globe enable us to support our clients wherever they are, guiding them through the potential pitfalls of undertaking projects in these many and varied jurisdictions, including the UKCS, Ireland, Continental Europe, Norway, the “Caspian Region”, the Middle East, the Caribbean, Africa, Russia, South and Central America, Australia and Asia Pacific.
The core Oil & Gas team also has access to specialist support from our wider energy group, to establish bespoke project and deal teams to handle the particular needs of each transaction or matter.
For example, we regularly draw upon support from specialist lawyers in relation to:
- Anti-Bribery & Corruption
- Banking & Finance
- Capital Markets
- Employment & Pensions
- Health & Safety
- International Arbitration & Dispute Resolution
- IT / IP
- Joint Ventures/Operations
- Licence & regulatory
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Project Development
Our lawyers have advised on headline deals across the globe including:
- Total on the £585m sale to North Sea Midstream Partners of its entire interests in the FUKA and SIRGE gas pipelines and the St Fergus Terminal.
- Suncor Energy on its $215m acquisition of an interest in the Rosebank Field from OMV.
- Siccar Point Energy on its acquisition of an interest in the Greater Mariner Area from JX Nippon.
- Falkland Oil & Gas Limited on its £61m takeover of Desire Petroleum plc and its takeover by Rockhopper.
- Tullow Oil on the pre-sale reorganisation and disposal of its UKCS interest, including the Schooner and Ketch Fields.
- Dana Petroleum on the $1.5bn refinancing by a group of banks led by BNP Paribas and Commonwealth Bank of Australia.
- Zennor Petroleum Limited in the acquisition of First Oil & Gas Limited and Antrim Resources (N.I.) Limited from the joint administrators of First Oil Expro Limited, a company within the First Oil PLC group.
- Various O&G clients on the application of TUPE in the UKCS and its effects on mergers and acquisitions, contract awards and terminations.
- A number of Operators in negotiations for the use of FPSOs in the UKCS and internationally, including advice on disputes relating to the management and operation of FPSOs.
- An international oil company on its acquisition of upstream assets in Kurdistan Iraq and on its negotiation on a Production Sharing Contract in Kurdistan.
- An international oil company and national oil company in relation to a very signification project in relation to the development of one of Iraq’s mega oil fields.
- An EPC Contractor in relation to an ICC arbitration concerning a major refinery expansion project in the UAE with claims in excess of USD 100m the subject of which included claims for delays, variations and the design issues including the scope and extent of the FEED.
- An Italian contractor in relation to an ICC arbitration concerning the construction of a greenfield export refinery in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia with claims in the region of USD 80m and concerning extensions of time, prolongation costs and disruption and loss of productivity.
- A Far Eastern contractor in relation to equipment failure issues in relation to offshore Oil & Gas processing facilities in Arabian Gulf.
- The lead arranger on the US$264 million project for the construction and operation of the Jordanian gas transmission pipeline to transport natural gas from Egyptian production fields to industrial customers and power plants in Jordan.
- An independent oil company on a farmout of blocks in Africa and a joint venture with a Saudi private equity
- Oman Oil on the Musandam Gas Plant project located on the west coast of the Musandam Province in the Sultanate of Oman.
- Pertamina Hulu Energi on acquiring all of Hess’s Indonesian oil & gas producing assets for a total consideration of US$1.3 billion.
- Pertamina (Persero) on its successful US$2 billion bid for a 30% participating interest in Murphy Oil's E&P assets in Malaysia.
- Sona Petroleum Berhad on its US$280 million acquisition of a 40% stake in the Greater Bualuang Area located in the Gulf of Thailand.
- South East Asian NOC on its bid to acquire ConocoPhillips’ interests in upstream oil and gas assets in Vietnam.
- Daewoo International consortium in the development of the Shwe gas project development in relation to the A1 and A3 blocks offshore Myanmar.
- Standard Chartered Bank as lead bank in its financing of the upstream development expenditure of a company in the Donggi- Senoro development in Indonesia.
- Seadrill on its operating arrangements for a number of offshore drilling rigs in Indonesia.
- PowerGas as developer in the development and financing of LNG regas project in Singapore.
- Pertamina on its proposed USD multi-billion dollar Refinery Development Master Plan to upgrade/expand a number of oil refineries in Indonesia.
- A major international contractor in an arbitration involving claims in excess of S$200 million in respect of an oil & gas platform facility in Indonesia.
- Oriental Energy Resources on the fallout from the $1.5 Billion collapse of Afren plc, advising on complex multi-stakeholder renegotiations in a challenging restructuring environment.
- BP on the farm-in to Dana Gas Egypt’s West El-Manazil Block and Block 1 in the Nile Delta of Egypt.
- Dangote on the development of Africa’s biggest petroleum refinery and petrochemical plant.
- EnQuest plc on a USD249million upstream acquisition offshore Tunisia, from Sweden's PA Resources and the subsequent unwinding of the transaction.
- A consortium of African sponsors in relation to the development of a 400km refined fuel pipeline in Cameroon.
- Production Services Network Limited on its $1 billion merger with FTSE-250 business Wood Group.
- Jagal Group negotiating a joint venture with Subsea 7, named NigerStar 7, to enable oil companies to execute high value EPIC projects in Nigeria.
- Falkland Oil and Gas Limited in relation to a rig contract and assignment in relation to its exploration activities in the South Atlantic.
- Rockhopper Exploration plc on seismic acquisition contracts relating to oil and gas exploration in the South Atlantic.
- US independent O&G company on a farm-out of interests offshore Trinidad and on a subsequent tie-in and transportation deal.
- International oil & gas contractor in two major ICC arbitrations in relation to disputes arising out of contracts for the construction of the Turkish section of the Baku-Tblisi-Ceyhan crude oil pipeline.