We have strong shipping and maritime connections through our work in the oil & gas, renewables and ports & harbours sectors. We have extensive experience in the areas of offshore supply vessels, drilling rigs and marine insurance, with increasing involvement in offshore renewable energy projects as part of supply chain requirements.
Our practice is diverse covering a variety of contentious and non-contentious shipping matters. This includes new build construction, purchase and sale of vessels, drilling rigs and floating production, storage and offloading vessels (FPSOs); registration in international jurisdictions; charterparties; ship and marine asset finance; harbours, ports and terminals; offshore employment status/tax regimes; manning services agreements and seafarer employment agreements; salvage claims and wreck removal; fishing and quota matters; and maritime safety and enforcement.
On the contentious side, we handle all types of shipping disputes including charterparty, shipbuilding, ship repair, rig maintenance, engineering disputes and marine insurance. We also handle international trade disputes in relation to bulk commodity and other sale contracts, bills of lading and related letters of credit. We are well acquainted with arbitration before the main trade associations as well as under the LMAA Rules.
Other shipping and maritime work includes advice on:
- Seismic acquisition contracts
- International sale of goods
- Drilling contracts and related assignments
- Offshore duty holder obligations under various regulations
- Offshore employment status/tax regimes
- Seafarer employment issues
- Salvage claims
- Statutory notices
- Ship arrest.
Recent experience of our team members includes advising:
- Insolvency practitioners in the administration of an offshore vessel owning Group
- A drilling company with the sale of two offshore barges registered in Singapore
- Stimwell Services BV with ongoing charter of a Norwegian owned vessel converted for well stimulation work with long term services agreement with an oil supermajor
- Offshore oil operator on the bareboat charter of an FPSO and interface with its services agreement, on which we also advised
- Byron Marine on the negotiation of a Master Services agreement with Noble Energy Inc for the provision of marine services and relative supply base to the nascent Falklands oil industry
- CalMac Ferries Limited in negotiations with the Scottish Government and Transport Scotland for the extension of its ferry services contracts throughout the Scottish isles and on fleet charter agreements, harbour access and operating agreements, ship lease financing and port and vessel health and safety
- A three bank club in relation to the provision of a US$150m revolving credit facility to a US registered offshore supply vessel operator, secured over a fleet of offshore supply vessels
- A local authority on the application of working time regulations to crew fostering arrangements of a tug boat fleet, and advising a port authority on working time issues in relation to pilots and boatmen
- International shipping companies and crewing providers on the territorial extent of UK employment rights and the ability of seafarers to claim unfair dismissal and breach of the Equality Act in Employment Tribunals in Great Britain
- An offshore service contractor on the provision of paid leave for ad hoc workers deployed in the UKCS
- The operator of a major offshore wind farm in the successful resolution of a hire dispute with the owners of two support vessels
- The Oil Ministry of a middle eastern country in respect of a multi-million dollar oil pricing and demurrage dispute
- The Ministry of Petroleum of the Government of the Republic of Sudan in connection with a dispute against shipowners and charterers over two cargoes of crude oil worth some $100m which were alleged to have been misappropriated from the Republic of South Sudan
- In an LMAA arbitration for a major international energy company in relation to alleged breach of the safe berth warranty in a charterparty following a vessel grounding in a Chinese port
- Transocean following the capsize and sinking of the anchor handling vessel Bourbon Dolphin with loss of eight lives
- On the sinking of a fishing vessel following collision
- Offshore drilling contractors in defence of personal injury claims
- Offshore support vessel operators following the administration of charterers
- In various ship arrest cases.