Insurance and Wealth Management at Pinsent Masons
We specialise in structuring and negotiating distribution projects across General Insurance, Life & Pensions, Health Insurance and Savings & Investments. As well as core Insurance Sector distribution, we work across sectors such as banks, building societies, utilities and retail & leisure.
Our expertise includes:
White-labelling/corporate partnership agreements
E-trading arrangements in the direct and broker markets
Panel structures and networks
Transactions involving co-insurance and reinsurance arrangements.
Our experience covers retail and SME/commercial arrangements as well as distribution deals within the London and Lloyd’s markets and involving significant cross-border elements.
Our lawyers’ experience
We have been retained on many high-profile, strategically important and complex projects including the following highlights:
- Acting for a top three UK insurer in relation to its multi-jurisdictional tie-up with a leading mobile phone distributor in relation to the sale of mobile phone insurance, involving advising on complex FOS/FOE issues and coordinating legal advice from numerous jurisdictions
- Acting for a top three UK private medical insurer in relation to reinsurance arrangements with APAC subsidiaries whereby our client became the principal risk carrier in relation to the underlying policies and assumed management and claims control functions in relation to the business
- Acting for Direct Line Group in relation to its partnering transaction with RBS Group for exclusive distribution rights in relation to retail and commercial insurance
- Advising a UK insurer negotiating its contractual arrangements with the operators of each of the UK’s top insurance price comparison websites
- Delivering a suite of contracts for a major insurance group for the distribution by IFAs of their mortgage/investment/life and general insurance products
- Advising a UK mobile phone insurer on distribution of mobile phone insurance in The Netherlands, including advising in relation to regulatory issues (including FOS/FOE), reinsurance into the distributor’s captive and security arrangements in relation to the captive
- Advising a global insurer on the establishment of a number of co-insured MGA arrangements and associated underwriting agreements with a significant national intermediary
- Acting for Aviva group companies on a series of interconnected corporate and commercial contracts resulting in Aviva becoming the primary provider of household, motor and travel insurance products to Barclays plc’s UK retail customer base
- Advising an insurer structuring its arrangements with various software houses for the distribution of retail products through intermediaries.