Life & Wealth
Insurance and Wealth Management at Pinsent Masons
These are challenging times for the life insurance and wealth management industries. Having the right legal advisers on hand can make all the difference to your project’s success. At Pinsent Masons, our dedicated Life and Wealth Group is well placed to advise on the range of issues faced by life insurers, mutuals and other wealth management businesses. We offer a rare combination of in-depth industry experience, backed up by a team of leading specialists from our full-service, international law firm.
We have first-hand knowledge about the legal risks prevalent in the life industry today. Our life insurance team is led by Bruno Geiringer, who has worked in the life insurance industry for over 20 years heading up legal and compliance teams and as a director and approved person of a life company. Tobin Ashby has more than 10 years experience advising on life and wealth management issues for a major international insurer. Other members of the team have worked in life insurance either as life and pensions technical advisers or on secondment.
What we do
- Insurance business transfers under Part VII FSMA, involving 100% reinsurance, conversion of with‑profits to non‑profit benefits and fund restructuring
- Mergers, acquisitions, disposals and restructurings of life insurance businesses
- Demutualisation and advice on membership rights in mutuals
- Friendly society mergers, regulation and membership rights.
- Establishing and obtaining regulatory authorisation
- Advice on life insurance regulation, including capital resources requirements, impact of Solvency II, passporting rights into Europe, whether arrangements amount to insurance and adviser charging
- Applications for change of control and approved persons
- Advice on permitted links regulations
- With‑profits funds governance and documentation
- Eligibility for FSCS compensation.
Distribution and fund management
- Developing and advising wrap platforms – D2C, B2B2C, and corporate wrap
- Distribution, introducer and “white labelling” agreements with major retailers and other affinity groups and online
- Outsourcing agreements, BPO, off‑shoring and in‑sourcing
- Joint venture agreements
- Life and pensions fund management agreements.
- Reinsurance treaty reviews
- New product development including on-shore and off-shore bonds, group and individual life policies and other investment products
- Life and pensions policy wording reviews for TCF/UTCCRs
- Arrangements involving linked life reinsurance and the Insurers Winding Up regulations
- Advice on longevity risk, pooled pension policies, pension fund management.
As a full-service law firm, we can also advise you on a variety of other legal issues such as dispute resolution, complaints handling, employment, intellectual property rights, data protection, property transactions and tax.