In a highly regulated industry, participants in waste projects will benefit from lawyers who, through a long standing specialisation in the industry, have taken a leading role in the development of wider strategy, regulatory and procurement policy on waste projects.
Demonstrated by our unrivalled level of closed projects and involvement in the wider industry, Pinsent Masons has all the necessary expertise you will need for waste management. We act for all the principal parties in project related work, including procuring authorities, funders, sponsors, EPC contractors, operators and consultants.
Taken together, our large team of waste specialists have advised on the vast majority of major waste management contracts let by English local authorities over the past ten years. Our relevant experience also spans a variety of waste to energy plants including those relating to the disposal of household waste and biomass plants.
Our experience in waste management partnering extends beyond simply advising on waste management contracts. Members of our team sit on the Associate Parliamentary Sustainable Waste Group, the Department for Trade & Industry's Environmental Services Advisory Group and the Chartered Institution of Wastes Management.
As the leading law firm in waste, we prepared the contracts section of the Waste Management Procurement Pack issued by the 4ps in 2004 and more recently drafted the standard form contract for waste PFI projects. We are currently preparing a template set of procurement documents (ITPD, ISOS & ITDS) for use by the Welsh local authorities procuring AD and/or residual waste facilities.
We advised the organisations below on their waste management:
- Advising the Biffa/EON consortium on one of Europe's largest EfW schemes with an estimated contract value of over £1billion
- Advising Energos on the provision of an energy from waste plant for the Derbyshire Council and Derby City Councils acting in a joint procurement
- Advised on the financial close of nearly 20 UK waste PPP projects including the Greater Manchester Waste PFI project (Best European Waste Project 2010, Project Finance Magazine)
- Advising the Hong Kong Government on a framework for strategic landfills including the regulatory framework required for the introduction of direct charging in respect of the use of the facility and the implementation of restoration schemes for exhausted landfills
- Advising Net Consultancy and the District Governor of Lubumbashi on a waste management PPP project in the Congo; and
- Advising a bidder on the Poznan Waste Project – one of the first waste PPPs in Poland