With the Trade Union Bill making radical changes to the UK's strike laws, we're helping employers understand how these reforms shift the legal and tactical dynamics around industrial action and the wider impact on their industrial relations strategies.
Our Industrial Relations specialists help employers to successfully manage their relationships with trade unions and employee representatives, deal effectively with industrial disputes, implement business change and maintain efficient information, consultation and negotiation arrangements.
With extensive experience and deep legal and practical know-how, we advise employers on all industrial relations and collective employment issues across a variety of sectors. We can provide you with the strategic guidance and fast and effective legal support your business needs.
When you face industrial action and leverage campaigns we help you navigate and resolve the dispute, maximising continuity and productivity for your business. We can help you to deal with statutory recognition requests, to establish and maintain productive relationships with trade unions, and to ensure that these keep pace with changes to business needs, membership density and the shifting dynamics of union relationships.
Recent experience includes:
- Advising a major mechanical and engineering contractor in injunction proceedings in the High Court, seeking to prevent Unite from calling on employees to take industrial action, on potential High Court damages claims resulting from unofficial strike action and obtaining an injunction preventing activists from targeting the home of a senior executive
- Advising a national energy supplier on its response to industrial action, with a focus on business continuity, in particular addressing union attempts to narrowly interpret contractual rules on working patterns and the Working Time Regulations to increase disruption
- Helping employers to update their recognition agreements with trade unions, to promote a more constructive relationship with their unions, make collective consultation more efficient and move towards partnership working
- Supporting employers in changing terms and conditions of employment through collective bargaining with trade unions, identifying negotiating strategies and collective consultation requirements
- Advising a facilities management company on unofficial industrial action, securing the repudiation of that action by the trade union, and options for disciplinary action against the organisers
Read more about our Employment services.