Our Competition & Trade practice in Hong Kong
The recently introduced Competition Ordinance in Hong Kong is heavily based on EU competition law.
Our EU experience is highly relevant to Hong Kong business and we have been advising on their dealings with third parties, including with competition authorities, customers and competitors.
Combining the capability and scale of a very long-established Hong Kong office with a specialist team comprising seven Partners and 25 lawyers means that we are extremely well-placed to advise on all aspects of the interpretation and application of the Ordinance.
Our recent experience includes:
- Advising a trade association in relation to the impact of the Competition Ordinance, including providing training, preparing draft compliance guidelines and advising on specific issues relevant to the industry
- Advising Hong Kong & China Gas Co. Limited on various aspects of its preparation for compliance with Hong Kong competition legislation
- Advising on international specialist sub-contractors in respect of competition laws arising out of shared use of facilities and information by various subsidiaries
- Advising a large Japanese company in respect of putting in place compliance procedures prior to the implementation of the Competition Ordinance.
We are able to assist clients in relation to all of these aspects of Hong Kong competition law, and especially:
- Reviewing whether commercial practices comply with the Ordinance and advising on what changes are necessary to comply
- Assisting clients to develop competition compliance policies and training
- Defending businesses under investigation
- Advising clients on how to use the Ordinance offensively against third parties.