We handle all aspects of treaty and facultative reinsurance, both national and international, life and non-life.
We regularly act for clients on reinsurance claims and coverage disputes, often with an international or multi-jurisdictional element. We also advise on exit strategies, including complex commutations and solvent and insolvent schemes of arrangement.
We can assist you in drafting and interpreting policy and treaty wordings, including treaties and co-reinsurance arrangements involving overseas reinsurers/cedants, fronting arrangements and risks written under binding authority agreements.
Recent examples of our work
Recent examples of our work include:
- Defending a leading reinsurance company in arbitration proceedings brought by cedents under a stop-loss reinsurance programme, with exposures in the region of £20 million
- Reinsurance claims for a Lloyd's Syndicate in run-off seeking large-scale reinsurance recoveries
- Representing quota share reinsurers in London arbitration concerned with marine and non-marine claims emanating from LMX business underwritten during the 1980s and 1990s
- Advising a reinsurer in respect of D&O, E&O, professional indemnity and financial institutions claims under an excess of loss programme underwritten in the 1990s
- Advising a leading broking house on a claim concerning reinsurance provided by an off-shore captive to a UK fronting company