Our experience in advising clients on the distribution of life and general insurance products is probably unrivalled in the UK. We have handled literally hundreds of distribution deals over the last few years, including:
- White-labelling or corporate partnership agreements
- Third party administration agreements
- Selling insurance online
- Renewal rights and acquisitions
- Supply chain arrangements
- Panel arrangements
- Outsourcing/offshoring agreements
We advise clients on all aspects of such arrangements, including commercial, regulatory, competition, employment, e-commerce, intellectual property, data protection and tax issues. We also advise on the full range of policy wordings used in corporate transactions and related reinsurance treaties.
The team has published the Pinsent Masons Guide to Insurance Distribution, which provides practical advice and information on the key issues facing insurance companies, their partners and in-house lawyers.
Recent examples of our work
Recent examples of our work include:
- Acting for Aviva plc on a series of corporate and commercial contracts under which Norwich Union Insurance will underwrite and distribute general insurance products to HSBC's 10.2 million customers in the UK
- Acting for a top 5 UK insurer restructuring capital allocation for a £100m GWP p.a. corporate partnership deal through reinsurance and retrocession arrangements
- Negotiating an agreement with a multi-tie scheme operator on behalf of a major UK insurance group
- Drafting and negotiating a 100% quota share reinsurance treaty to underpin fronting arrangements to allow a major insurer client to sell insurance in various overseas jurisdictions
- Advising on a life reinsurer's template proportional treaty
- Acting for Aviva group companies on a series of interconnected corporate and commercial contracts resulting in Norwich Union Insurance becoming the primary provider of household, motor and travel insurance products to Barclays plc's UK retail customer base
Examples of competition and IT/e-commerce and outsourcing work.