A freezing injunction is a court order preventing a party from disposing or dealing with its assets.
The Pinsent Masons Civil Fraud and Asset Recovery Team has a wealth of experience acting on behalf of businesses and individuals in obtaining freezing injunctions both domestically and worldwide.
The team also advises on responding to freezing injunctions.
How we can help
The team has advised on numerous complex cases where freezing injunctions were required and can assist by way of:
- Obtaining domestic and world wide freezing injunctions over a variety of assets;
- Responding to and discharging freezing injunctions obtained against businesses and individuals;
- Obtaining ancillary orders in support of a freezing injunction, such as disclosure orders and passport delivery up orders; and
- Advising on contempt of court proceedings arising from a breach of the terms of a freezing injunction.
What others say about us
Chambers and Partners 2018 say:
- "They are a very good, strong fraud team. They know absolutely what they are doing. The tenacious and creative Alan Sheeley acts for banks and businesses in large-scale, complex fraud disputes. Sources say he is fantastically energetic and adept at looking at all of the options."
Legal 500 2018 say:
- Pinsent Masons LLP provides ‘a faultless level of service, carefully outlining all threats and opportunities’ and ‘managing each case with consummate ease’. The group has significant expertise in obtaining freezing, disclosure and passport delivery up orders, and regularly deals with fraud committed in offshore jurisdictions. Alan Sheeley is a star when it comes to litigation and the right partner for a tough case. Alan stands out as brilliant - he knows how to achieve his clients’ objectives and fights hard for them.”
Chambers and Partners 2017 say:
- “Alan Sheeley heads the civil fraud practice and assists banks, businesses and individuals with complex fraud-related matters. Market observers characterise him as a "very bright" and "sensible" tactician, who "does not give up easily and is willing to stick with something through thick and thin."
Legal 500 2017 say:
- “Alan Sheeley's practice at Pinsent Masons LLP specialises in complex international fraud and is highly regarded for its technological innovation. The team acts for RBS and LLB Verwaltung."
Who’s Who Legal Asset Recovery 2018 say:
- Alan has a wealth of experience handling both onshore and offshore trust litigation. According to sources, “He is very practical and creative and clients love him.
Recent examples of our work include:
- Acting on behalf of a law firm and trust companies based in an offshore jurisdiction in relation to an internal investigation of suspected senior employee fraud estimated at £15 million. Undertook an email review and subsequently advised on successfully obtaining a freezing order against the suspected employee and associated companies.
- Acting for a company which had been defrauded by a director and majority shareholder and obtaining a without notice freezing injunction, proprietary injunction and prohibitory injunction against the director within four days of being instructed.
- Acting for a family trust tracing monies lost in investment frauds which have involved multiple disclosure orders, proceedings in offshore jurisdictions and freezing injunctions against the defendants’ assets.
- Acting for a well-known high-end retail company in relation to a procurement fraud. We carried out a covert investigation prior to our client obtaining freezing orders against the defendants which ultimately led to a settlement.
- Advised on a breach of contract, deceit, misrepresentation and conspiracy claim. Our client obtained a worldwide freezing order for approximately £8 million which was followed by a summary judgment hearing and thereafter an assessment of damages hearing. 4Eng Ltd v Harper and another  EWHC 2633 (Ch).