Louise is a Legal Director dealing with commercial litigation matters with a particular focus on product liability and environmental disputes. She also has substantial experience of warranty disputes, IT and engineering contractual disputes, PFI disputes and also, more historically, corporate defence work including health and safety, product safety, food safety, environmental and trading standards.
She is also a fully-qualified and chartered mechanical engineer and practised for over fifteen years in the power industry before re-qualifying as an English Law lawyer. Clients particularly value her ability to interface technical issues to the legal problems.
Her extensive product liability experience, including on the regulatory side has involved advising on recalls, and in relation to complex and substantial cross border disputes.
Her previous engineering experience has been particularly useful across a range of products including mechanical (glass furnaces, automotive components, valves, seals, compressors, wind turbines), electrical and electronic equipment (HV and MV switchgear, electronics for the defence industry, CO monitors, set top boxes), building components (fire doors, glass windows, roofing components, concrete and paving stones, asbestos), fungicides, breast implants and pharmaceuticals.
Louise is a fluent French speaker and has worked in our Paris office and in the UK.
Recent examples of her work include advising :
- a large French multinational in respect of a substantial claim for damages in relation to allegedly defective electrical switchgear and ensuing process shutdown. The case involves both English and French law issues and so working across our offices.
- a European component manufacturer to the water industry in relation to a French court appointed expert investigation into alleged faults with the components in a French installation.
- a US supplier on notification and remedial works required for products in breach of ROHS regulations across Europe; this has involved working across our offices (France, Germany, Spain, Ireland) and with other external foreign lawyers
- waste management providers, a water undertaker and other companies involved in industrial processes in relation to environmental nuisance claims
- and bringing and defending claims under environmental indemnities relating to historic contamination on chemical and agrochemicals sites
- in relation a substantial cross-border claims, a warranty claim in the Commercial Court and a licencing dispute in ICC arbitration, working with our Dubai office
Louise is described in last year's Legal 500 as "thorough yet commercially focused" and in this year's Legal 500 as a key contact and next generation lawyer.
Out-Law article: UK product safety recall guidance emphasises forward planning