Environment & Climate Change
We are the No.1 largest planning and environment team in the UK and the most experienced team of dedicated environmental specialists. We offer market leading, top quality environmental advice from a large, expert team that knows your industry and has the resources to meet your needs.
The hallmark of our environment lawyers is their commerciality, innovation, and specialist sector knowledge across a range of industrial sectors and geographies.
We advise on environmental transactional, regulatory and litigation matters, as well as environmental aspects of energy projects.
Our Market Expertise covers the full range of environmental law and includes:
- regulatory advice, including permitting for energy installations
- incident response and litigation, both civil and criminal, including nuisance, waste and water pollution claims and advocacy in court
- transactional support
- projects advice
- carbon and energy efficiency advice, including apportionment of carbon reduction costs and the streamlined energy and carbon regulatory framework
- support for our major infrastructure consenting and development planning teams, where our team's experience in EIA review and remediation through the planning system is second to none.
The Pinsent Masons' Environment Team is widely being recognised as the "go to practice" for the waste and manufacturing sectors, for transactional and regulatory advice, as well as significant nuisance claims.
All of these factors combine to offer you tailored, commercial and pragmatic legal solutions that give you the edge over your competitors.
We have unique sector-focussed experience:
Infrastructure and Waste
- defence of substantial nuisance and criminal claims for waste and water pollution, as well as breach of permits
- site acquisition and disposal.
- land contamination.
- hazardous substances.
- all aspects of nuclear new build and decommissioning, nuclear liability, licensing and radioactive waste management.
- oil and gas pollution and remediation and onshore and offshore decommissioning (including unconventional gas).
- Onshore and offshore renewables including wind, solar, hydro and wave, biomass and incentives.
- conventional projects, including advice on fiscal incentives, Environmental Impact Assessments (EIA) and Carbon Capture and Storage (CCS).
- emissions trading and climate change.
- carbon law, carbon trading, energy efficiency and sustainability
- operational advice on the definition of waste, waste management and permitting and transfrontier shipment of waste.
- applications for new permits and changes to existing permits
- site developments, decommissioning and closure
- mitigation of claims, particularly in light of the Sentencing Guidelines
- producer responsibility and compliance, including REACH and the WEEE, ROHS, Batteries, ELVs and other regimes.
- regulation and compliance in the UK and overseas.
- international water reform and policy development.
- pollution incidents and prosecutions.
- infrastructure connections.