With close links to major arbitral institutions we are well versed in their arbitration rules, and are experts at conducting UNCITRAL and ad hoc arbitrations and dealing with issues relating to bi-lateral investment treaties.
Led by Partners across the globe, with offices in the main international arbitration hubs of London, Paris, Dubai, Hong Kong, Singapore and Sydney, we operate in the Energy, Infrastructure, Advanced Manufacturing & Technology and Financial Services sectors.
Our Investor State team represents investors in disputes arising under investment treaties and investment contracts.
Our Energy team is well-known for its market leading reputation in relation to disputes arising out of some of the world's most complex energy projects. Experience includes:
- Representing a group of companies in relation to disputes arising out of the development of FLNG production facilities offshore Africa
- Representing an international oil & gas contractor in two major ICC arbitrations in relation to disputes arising out of contracts for the construction of the Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan Crude Oil Pipeline in Turkey – one of the largest pipelines in the world – including construction of the pipeline and associated pumping facilities
- Representing a UAE-based contractor in LCIA arbitration proceedings concerning the onshore upgrade and refurbishment and offshore installation in Qatar waters of an oil production barge.
Contact Jason Hambury and Katharine Davis, or read more about Energy.
Named by Who's Who Legal as Global Construction Law Firm of the Year for the past eight years, we work on complex international arbitrations for joint venture and consortium arrangements, contracts involving the supply of energy, licensing, commodities, manufacturing and international sales and distribution. Our experience includes:
- Representing two of the largest construction groups in the world on an arbitration relating to one of the largest international airport projects in the Gulf involving complex engineering and construction issues
- Representing a Korean Contractor in an ICC arbitration in London in relation to its claims against a consortium of Japanese Contractors for additional monies arising out of the design and construction of a cement plant in Saudi Arabia
- Representing a Dutch contractor in ICC proceedings in relation to its claims against a consortium of French contractors for additional money arising out of a contract for dredging and reclamation works at a Multi-nodal Terminal in the Dominican Republic. The case was successfully settled by negotiation.
Contact Mark Roe or read more about International Construction Arbitration.
Our financial services disputes team is well known for handling insurance and reinsurance arbitrations, Bermuda form arbitrations and inter-bank disputes. The cases often involve underlying disputes in two or more jurisdictions. Recent examples include:
- Acting for a consortium of European insurers in a Bermuda form insurance arbitration concerning US Federal multi-district litigation and state class actions relating to the pain relief drug OxyContin
- Acting in an inter-bank arbitration using a truncated procedure to resolve disputes arising out of obligations by a UK bank to purchase mortgage books and new books of business acquired by a South African bank
- Acting in a reinsurance arbitration relating to the alleged manipulation of quota share reinsurance arrangements without proper disclosure between a European reinsurer and a Middle Eastern insurer.
Contact Manoj Vaghela or read more about Financial Services.
Advanced Manufacturing & Technology
During 2016 we undertook a global survey, in partnership with Queen Mary University, London, on "Using International Arbitration to Resolve Technology Disputes".
Read more about the survey.
We recently acted on two of the largest TMT international arbitrations in the world by value and complexity. Experience includes:
- Acting for a global IT supplier in an arbitration following the termination of a high-profile and complex PFI contract in the healthcare sector. The claims on either side run to over £1 billion
- We represented the Secretary of State for the Home Department in a major international arbitration relating to the failed eBorders Programme. As part of this we made a successful application to the UK High Court to set aside a £200m+ arbitration award made by the arbitral tribunal on the grounds of procedural irregularity. This matter was shortlisted by GAR for "Decision of the Year" 2016
- We acted for a global IT supplier in a dispute relating to the ticketing technology underpinning a major European city's mass transit system.
Contact David McIlwaine or read more about IT & Telecoms disputes.
Our Investor State team represents investors in disputes arising under investment treaties and investment contracts. We have considerable ICSID arbitration experience and assist clients to obtain third party funding arrangements. Recent examples include:
- Representing a Dutch investor against the Republic of Tunisia in arbitration proceedings commenced on the basis of the BIT ratified by the Netherlands and the Republic of Tunisia as a result of the expropriation of a foreign investment made in a Tunisian bank following privatization of the Tunisian banking sector
- Representing the Republic of the Philippines in an ICSID arbitration filed by Fraport AG in a dispute under the German-Philippines bilateral investment treaty regarding the construction of an airport in Manila
- Representing an American-owned Kazaki investor in an ICSID arbitration against Kazakhstan under the U.S.-Kazakhstan BIT, relating to the government’s expropriation of the investor’s oil production concession
Contact Jean-Francois Le Gal or read more in our International Investment Treaties brochure (PDF).