Parliamentary Agency & Government Affairs
Pinsent Masons has a market leading Parliamentary Team, with capability to advise on legal, strategic and procedural issues associated with the Parliamentary process. Our services cover both the Westminster Parliament and the legislatures of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
We advise on the promotion of primary and secondary legislation, including its potential impact and how to influence it. At the heart of this work is the promotion of Private and Hybrid Bills. These are Bills which affect private interests, and so provide the opportunity for private bodies and individuals to engage in the Parliamentary process.
Our Team includes two leading Roll "A" Parliamentary Agents Robbie Owen and Richard Bull, who are two of fewer than 20 practising lawyers in the UK who are authorised by the Speaker to promote and oppose local and private legislation in the Westminster Parliament.
They work alongside Francis Tyrrell, a Roll “B” Parliamentary Agent in relation to the HS2 Bill, and a dedicated Government Affairs and Legislation Clerk, Frances Ellis, all part of a larger team experienced in advising on Parliamentary matters, including promoting and objecting to ("petitioning against") Private and Hybrid Bills.
Pinsent Masons' new Parliamentary offering complements our renowned infrastructure authorisation and Nationally Significant Infrastructure Projects (NSIPs) practice because the largest Government-led infrastructure projects are promoted as Hybrid Bills in Parliament.
Our team has advised numerous commercial entities, public bodies, interest groups and individuals in relation to Hybrid Bills. We were heavily involved in petitioning against Crossrail and are now advising a number of bodies affected by HS2. We are experienced at drafting petitions, handling procedural matters in Parliament, preparing for and appearing as advocates at Select Committee hearings, drafting and negotiating amendments to Bills, and negotiating and completing side agreements.
In conjunction with our wider Public Affairs capabilities, we can also effectively carry through amendments to Government legislation on behalf of clients; advising on process, drafting and tabling amendments and briefing peers and members of Parliament.
Our team of experts is focussed on delivering innovative and cost effective solutions in the Parliamentary field. Here are some examples of the services we can provide:
- advising on Private and Hybrid Bills and Orders in Parliament, including acting for clients promoting or objecting to Bills authorising major infrastructure projects, such as HS2;
- advising on Government Bills, including tabling amendments on behalf of political parties, industry groupings and local authorities;
- advising on existing powers, duties and restrictions arising from private / local legislation, whether amendments are required and how best to secure them;
- advising on special parliamentary procedure, including acting for organisations or individuals involved in the process;
- advice on Legislative Reform Orders and how to work with Central Government to promote them;
- advice in relation to new Public legislation and guidance emanating from Central Government, including Green and White Papers and Public Bills, and how to influence them (e.g. responding to consultations, negotiating and liaising with politicians and government officials to influence the Parliamentary process);
- the drafting of legislation and similar documents (e.g. byelaws);
- monitoring Parliamentary affairs in order to advise organisations on developments that affect their interests.