Our Natural Resources practice spans the full spectrum of the mining lifecycle - from exploration, including investments, acquisitions and funding, to project development, operations and mine closure and rehabilitation.
Our world class global projects practice can service planning and implementing early studies and procurement of large scale mining projects and our wealth of experience in the water, energy, rail and port infrastructure sectors ensures full legal support covering extraction through to processing and transportation from mine mouth to port. Our mining team includes dual-qualified lawyers fluent in English, French, Spanish and Chinese and has extensive knowledge of mining legislation and privileged relationships with local counsel in key mining jurisdictions including Sub-Saharan Africa. We also provide localised support to Chinese investors from our Beijing and Shanghai offices.
In most recent directory results, Pinsent Masons was the only firm to rank in Band 1 of Chambers' Energy & Natural Resources UK-wide category and earned a spot in Tier 3 of the Mining & Minerals band in the Legal 500 rankings along with some very positive feedback.
"...Pinsent Masons LLP's 'extremely professional' team has strong corporate and construction expertise, acting for clients such as Anglo American and East China Exploration. Leeds-based Neil Whitaker is 'at the top of his game' and Sarah Thomas is 'hardworking and thoughtful'. Akshai Fofaria is dual UK/France qualified and has strong Africa experience."
Our experience includes advising:
- Baiyin Non-Ferrous Group Co Ltd, CITC Construction Co Ltd, and Chang Xin Yuan Su (Tianjin) Equity Investment Fund Management LP in relation to their USD185 million investment in Oxus Gold plc (a gold mining company with operations in the Amantaytau goldfields of the Republic of Uzbekistan)
- International Steel Group Inc. (ISG) in its USD2.5 billion bankruptcy buyout of iron ore and coal operations in Indiana, Maryland, and Pennsylvania together with Bethlehem Steel Corp.'s interests in a Minnesota mining company, steel finishing plants in Ohio, New York and Indiana, and joint venture in Illinois, Indianan, Mississippi and Florida
- Cathay Nichrom Mining and Development Corp on proposed arrangements with Crystal Mining & Development Corp to develop a project to exploit Crystal's mining claims in the Province of Dingagat Island, Philippines
- on the reverse takeover of Teck Cominco Brasil S.A., placing and re-admission to AIM by Horizonte Minerals plc (an exploration and development company with gold and nickel projects in Brazil and Peru)
- Hanson, part of the Heidelberg Cement Group, in relation to its portfolio of sites including stone and aggregates quarries in the UK
- in relation to disputes with estate owners over ownership of mining and mineral rights
- Anglo American on a package of framework and precedent (FIDIC based) EPCM and construction contracts for their international mining operations and projects worldwide (including in Southern Africa, South America and Australia) for the construction and development of mineral ore and mine processing facilities
- on a construction management services agreement for an ore processing plant at a copper mine in Zambia
- on claims arising from the EPC Contract on the Barapukuria Coal Mine Project in Bangladesh
- China National Machinery Imp. & Exp. Corporation in relation to coal mine / power station projects in Pakistan and Bangladesh
- Advising on acquisitions and investments, particularly in China, India and the Middle East
- Advising on Mining Codes, mining legislation and environmental legislation
- Advising on UK mineral rights